Saturday, October 28, 2006
Succos in Israel 2006, Part 3
The next day Sharon, the little boys, and I headed off on a bus trip. First stop was a moshav complete with animals to view, camels and donkeys to ride, hands-on lessons in making (and eating) pita, and lots more. After lunch, we headed off to "the big dune." (I'm sure it has a name, but I didn't catch it.) On the way, we spotted an Israeli rarity – two trains passing side by side. The dune was indeed huge, and as I plodded through the deep sand in the heat it seemed to recede before me as I remembered that I didn't particularly care for walking in sand. Suddenly there appeared a large tree (someone said it might be of the sycamore family), with a horizontal branch just at seating level. "See you later," I said to Sharon, settling in the shade and breeze with the book I just happened to have in my purse. What a delightful (and quiet) interlude before heading home.
Our next trip was to Bet Shemesh, home of some friends of Sharon and Howie. Three couples and their families meet there annually during Succos for a pot luck meal, more singing, and lots and lots of great conversation. Our return home proved a bit of an adventure, though. We'd gone about a mile when a warning light came on. After a longish wait, a mechanic friend of our host came by and discovered that the fan belt had broken and dropped off. Sharon and I and the children managed to flag down a passing intercity van (there are lots of them in Israel), which returned for us after dropping off its passengers. Since we filled the van all by ourselves, the driver was willing to deposit us right at our door instead of at the usual central spot in Jerusalem. Poor Howie waited for that tow truck and waited for the tow truck and finally got home about 3 a.m. The car made it back, all repaired, the next day.
There was much, much more, or course. As usual, the house and Succahs were full for BD's birthday, and my long trudge up the hill on Simchas Torah was rewarded by hours of watching delighted men and boys dancing with the Torahs. I got to see the apartment Shoshana and Dovy will be renting for their first year as a married couple, a charming little doll's house with a lovely piece of land out front, complete with a view of some of the hills surrounding Jerusalem and of the highway as well! The house is about a ten minute bus ride from Sharon's in Har Nof, so it will be easy to keep in touch.
As usual, the best part of the trip was the minutes and hours and I spent with Sharon and Howie and the children, chatting, joking, making music, making plans. And of course, looking forward to the wedding in December. But more about that after that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment