At 9:10 a.m., ten minutes after I left my house, the phone call came. Of course I didn't know about that call until much later, but when I got to the airport, there was no one at all waiting on the security line. Hmmmmmm. Not good. There was a general strike in Israel, the airport was closed, and no one knew when it would reopen. Could be in minutes, could be in hours, could be in days. All I could think of was "but I have the bride's shoes in my bags."
A few of us hung around the airport, hoping against hope, making new friends, exchanging stories. Finally I was told that the flight definitely wasn't going off, that I'd be called and to go home. So I went home. I never did get a call.
Early the next morning I began calling, not getting through for over three hours. Finally, someone picked up, and a lovely young man said that the strike was settled and if I could make it to Kennedy by noon, I could get on the three o'clock plane. It was a quarter to 11. I made it. Standing in the next checkout line were my son-in-law's aunt and uncle, who'd been scheduled for that flight, which made the trip a far more pleasant one for me after the aggravation I'd been through.
We arrived early Friday morning (no all day Thurday to relax!), and the van dropped me off at Sharon's house just in time to move into the room I'd rented, unpack, shower, change clothes, and leave for Tifrach, the moshav in the Negev where Dovy's parents lived. Some kind neighbors had offered their whole house to the family; I had a lovely upstairs room, balcony, and private bathroom facilities. A one-john room, an outside cold-water sink, and a shower used as a storage room, but absolutely gorgeous views, too. We all got squared away and joined Dovy's family and friends at a sort of banquet, complete with speeches and a chance to meet his extended family and friends. There's a nice hall on the Moshav, so there was lots of room for everyone.
Saturday morning Dovy was called to the Torah, and once again we ate – twice. Once, a kiddush (small meal) at the shul, and then, shortly thereafter, another banquet. We sat and shmoozed and I bonded nicely with Dovy's grandmothers, one from Jerusalem and one from Cleveland, and learned more about Tifrach. Although it had been started as an agricultural settlement, most of the current members rent out their fields to local farmers, themselves working in other jobs. It was quiet, spacious, and clearly desert!
One little rest, and then it was off to eat again just before dark, to visit a bit with the family in their home, to have a little coffee and cake (did I mention we ate now and then?), and leave for home.
Sunday was a day for errands – change some money, visit Shoshana's new home – a little doll house with its own front yard --with her and Sharon, and go with her to pick up her gown. And yes, I did start to cry when I saw how beautiful she looked! Monday seemed to fly by in a morass of little details and baskets of laundry to be folded, and then it was time to dress for the wedding.
So off we all went to the wedding hall for pictures, the photographers, mine, David's, and Moshe's, and then we were whisked away with Shoshana while the groom's family came in for their pictures. Yes, we could see Dovy, but she could not. [Note: URLs for various pictures at the end of this report]
Shoshana was settled in a large white throne as guests began to enter, greet her, and wish her well. And yes, there was food to eat and something to drink – a little appetite-whetting, as it were. More and more women poured in – the menfolk were over on the other side of the divider – and finally it was time. (For those who are unfamiliar with the arrangements, men and women are generally separated at Orthodox Jewish functions.)
Sharon and Dovy's mother Naomi led Shoshana outside to where the wedding chuppah was set up; the two fathers likewise led Dovy, and the guests followed. The ceremony was all in Hebrew, of course, but the looks on the couple's faces spoke volumes in a language I could understand. After the ceremony, the couple had a brief period together to have their first little meal together (yup, more food), but shortly Dovy joined the men, Shoshana joined the women, and the dancing began. Off came my heels, on went the ballet slippers, and round and round I and everyone else in the room went. Somewhere in there I know a meal was served, and I recall eating something, but one group after another pulled me and swirled me around in circles when I wasn't busy chatting. I had no idea I knew quite that many people in Israel!
There are no descriptions of how beautiful Shoshana and Sharon looked and how much fun everyone had – but you can see that by the pictures.
Rather than the bride and groom going on a honeymoon, it's the custom for them to be feted at dinner parties for seven nights after the wedding, and I was there for most of them. They varied in tone – a private room in a hotel, a few crowded but welcoming living rooms, and for Friday night and Saturday day, traditionally the bride's parents turn to host, a hall across the street from Sharon's house. Plenty of food, as usual, and many speeches praising the bride and groom and their families, along with recitations of the seven wedding blessings. We weren't even fazed by the power failure Saturday – at least it occurred during daylight hours.
During the days I sometimes relaxed, sometimes helped around Sharon's house or spent time with the children, helping including folding laundry (I have a specialist's rating in that) and chopping about a pound of garlic for the salmon in garlic and parsley sauce. Wednesday the relatives from America went down to the Old City, visiting the Wall and then climbing up to walk through and see the sites of the Jewish Quarter, with me as guide, since I was there most often. Despite fears I couldn't, I did indeed find the Cardo! Well, it's really rather hard to miss.
And then Saturday night it was time to leave, to take another plane, and to come home. I'll be going back though, for sure.
Pictures available (copy into browser):
Mine – (scroll down to Shoshana's Wedding):
http://www.sdksandy.shutterfly.com
David's and Moshe's (two sets):
http://wedding.kozinn.com
David's videos of men dancing :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5611717776631884271&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7122304708458466432&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7259243929157346144&hl=en
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad it all went well after the rocky start! Shoshana looks absolutely stunning in the photos.
Post a Comment