PIFFLEFEST IN NEW YORK -- JUNE 24, 2012
There’s bad and good in everything. Luckily, the only bad part of my trip into New York on Sunday, June
24th, was the incorrect traffic reports. George
Washington Bridge
clogged up for 40 minutes, or so they said while I was approaching it and after
I zoomed through it at the usual bumper-to-bumper 50 mph. And even the crosstown traffic wasn’t too
bad, despite the parade closing of 5th
Avenue when I was going to very near Sixth. As promised, there was even a parking garage
right next to my destination.
The occasion was a New
York pifflefest, of a size rare in NY these days. Lindsey (Ducks) and
her husband were living in NY for a few years, and I’d promised myself I’d go
in and meet her. Then Julia and her family, including two absolutely
charming teenagers, were coming to the States for a vacation, starting out in
the City, and coincidentally Lindley, from western Canada, was to be in town for a few days en
route between eastern Canada
and Washington
on her latest genealogical tour. We set
a time and place, and no sooner had we done that then Cally said she’d bus down
from Boston for
the day. So there we were, pifflers from
Australia, the UK, Canada,
Boston, and New Jersey, all meeting in NY and vying for
attention from two very friendly labradoodles.
Ducks’ apartment was lovely, with a spectacular window wall
with views of the Empire
State Building
and the Chrysler building, not to mention a number
of other great buildings and marvelous vistas. I’d grown up on the 14th floor of a
Manhattan
apartment house, and I was still impressed. One by one we trickled in, met or re-met each
other, sipped lots of ice water, oohed and aahed at the view, and, of course,
piffled, catching up a little bit and then chatting about everything under the
sun.
After a bit, we all strolled over to Sixth Avenue (it will
never be Avenue of the Americas to me) and down a few blocks to a café (Normadie,
IIRC), for a late lunch and lots more piffling, only leaving a few hours later
to walk back the same route, still talking, and ride the elevator back up to
the 24th floor and that marvelous view. And then it was suddenly late, late afternoon,
and one by one we trickled out again.
And what did we talk about?
We started with finding apartments in New York, the weather, and who
walked where, and moved on, in no particular order, to Shakespeare (with a
special emphasis on why Romeo and Juliet is not such a great play), the
American Revolution, various legal cases, crossing the US/Canadian border and
travel in general, TV (with a side of who watches car races and why) and much
more.
It was, to make a long story no longer, an old-fashioned
pifflefest, and I left with a big smile on my face!
1 comment:
What a wonderful time you all had. I am very jealous!
Post a Comment