Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Succos 2016 -- Part 2

SUCCOS 2016 – Part 2

Saturday, October 29                  Shabbos was a delightful mélange of wonderful food, thanks to Sharon and all the “girls,” and watching the show put on by the youngest generation.  The house came complete with a trampoline, and the ever-changing combinations of little ones, plus the ever-changing sounds of giggling and the occasional cry, were total entertainment.  Alas, all good things come to an end, and after a final meal and picture-taking session, we all packed up and headed for home.

Sunday/Monday, October 30-31   I rather thought I deserved a bit of a rest (lots of stairs in that 10-bedroom house), but my social secretary (otherwise known as my daughter) thought otherwise.  Bright and early Sunday morning Moshe and Ahuvi, complete with Batsheva in the carriage showed up to whisk me off to lunch and a little mall walking at Ramot.  Lots of fun finding cute things for the kids to wear in the winter.  I got back to Sharon’s in time to fold yet more laundry.  Oh, well, I can do that sitting down!  On Monday, Howie drove me to B’nai Brak, an hour-long navigation of the reconstruction of the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem main highway.  Four flights up, and there I am, in Shmuel and Chasi’s cozy apartment.  She’s a great cook and made a special treat for me – chicken wings!  Love those wings!  Great fun watching the five kids gobble up their share of the goodies, and even better fun chatting with their parents.  Amazing how calmly they manage that lively brood.

Tuesday, November 1                 At last, I found a bit of time to relax and just hang out for a bit before my evening appointment with Yosef and Miriam.  We all like interesting restaurants; Yosef found one just across from the Jaffa Gate to the old city, down some stairs (isn’t almost everything worthwhile in Jerusalem up or down stairs?), with a charming chef who stresses the Seven Species and interesting food – and clearly eats lots of it.  I had Syrian beef tartare and duck breast in a luscious sauce, but even the dips that came with the warm bread were special.  Add a little wine, some great wide-ranging conversation, and it all adds up to a wonderful evening.

Wednesday, November 2            After a hiatus of a few years, the Bubbe’s Club met again.  Shoshana’s husband Dovy has two grandmothers living in Jerusalem, and when we can, we get together for lunch at least once while I’m around.  This time the restaurant was quite close, and we had a lovely few hours admiring our mutual great-grandchildren and talking about the things grandmothers talk about.  In the evening, Sharon drove me to Beit Shemesh, for a little playtime with Nachama’s girls, a brief chat with Aaron, and dinner in a great restaurant nearby, following by a little – what else, shopping? 

Thursday, November 3                Thursday Sharon and I drove to Ramot, to visit Shoshana and spend some time with her children.  Non-stop motion!

Friday-Sunday, November 4-6     Finally it was time to wind down.  A quiet Shabbos, with time to talk and rest, a quick trip back to Ramot Saturday night to drop off a package for Shoshana, a bit of packing, and it was, all too soon, time to drive to the airport for my Monday 12:15 a.m. flight.


There are pictures of many of these events; go to https://goo.gl/photos/xssZefdZqJYpPyBA8

No comments: